Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Misc.

On Sunday I went to Waco for a hellishly hot league match. The occasion was the "Battle of the Losers," i.e. the teams that didn't win their playoff matches had the chance to compete for "Best Loser." We couldn't pass it up.

It turns out we weren't cut out for that crown either. I played in our Sunday round and had an interesting match. The guy I played was typically a doubles player. His strategy was essentially "one and done": he actually never even volleyed as far as I can remember, he just teed off on both sides of groundstrokes, and he was a good player so about half the time those go-for-broke shots ended up winners down one of the lines. The bottom line of this characteristic is "horrendous game for The Badger," since I'm a rhythm player. I never got a solid look at the guy's strokes, plus it was hot enough to make my legs somewhat more sluggish than usual. Overall, I served well, played some shots with nice hands, and felt pretty good about the match, but I lost in anticlimactic fashion 3 and 3. If I were to play the guy again I'd have to hit him a lot more deep slice to try to get inside his head, a strategy I usually hate with a passion, but in a context where I'd prefer to win for my team I'd give it a shot.

Scatterbrain will most likely be out of comission for a few days as I go to Seattle for the continuation of "Wedding Fest 2007," only a shadow of the intensity of "Wedding Fest 2006."

On another random note, Miles almost broke my frickin' nose yesterday. I got home from work and he was outside with my wife. He came bounding toward me for the requisite "HI, DADDY" tail-wagging routine. When he came upon me he started sniffing my shoes and I bent over to pat him on his belly, and he spontaneously lifted his head with lighting speed and cracked me right in the nose. It still hurts, but not too badly. Like my friend Dr. T-Rapper noted, I'm not hideously deformed so there is nothing to be concerned about.

Finally, it's nice to see that Texas is back in the good 'ol triple-digits. I was beginning to think we were becoming a pansy state, like those other non-Texas states. We can melt more crap on our concrete than you! Bring it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home