Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Quote of the Day.

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men. - "Cool Hand Luke"

One of the 4 key points to communicating effectively is knowing your audience. What can I do, then, when I do know my audience, and feel like they are about as receptive as a brick wall?

You walk into a bar and ask the bartender for a Jack and Coke. He says "we've got no Jack here." You say, "okay, how about a beer." "We've got no Jack here."

"Um...I must have made a mistake and was unclear. Can I have a beer?"

"Listen, buddy, I told you we have no Jack here. Just accept it!"

Riiiight.

***

Today's "you've got to be kidding me" sight on the road: I'm in the left lane approaching a stoplight. As the stoplight draws near, I notice a car stopped in the right lane approximately 10 feet past the light. Cars are merging into the right lane accordingly. The light turns red just as I reach it, so I'm the first car in the left lane, and the stopped car is ten feet in front of me in the right lane.

Of course, I had assumed that said car was stalled, but on come the reverse lights, and the car starts backing up (!!!) toward the car beside me. This begs the question: had this person missed their left turn, and actually had the audacity to stop in the middle of the road, and was waiting to slowly back up in the middle of rush-hour traffic so that they could eventually make their precious left-hand turn?!? The light eventually turned green, and I passed by this person with a glance that rekindled Scatterbrain's declaration that once you're 75 years old, you need to take a driving test to stay on the road. I'm sure a lot of people will be driving well into their 90s, but many will not. And I won't even dignify the the bass-ackwards logic of "but people have to have a way to get around."

If you don't know what you're doing on the road any more, put the car keys down.

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that these statements probably refer to 50% of all drivers on the road, regardless of age, but you know what I mean...

1 Comments:

Blogger robby said...

i concur! but i believe that they should make people over 55 take annual driving tests. and NOT the typical driving test where you slowly manuever thru cones and parallel park and all that nonsense, but a test where you have to complete a course in a certain amount of time. the reasoning: old people drive too slowly, they impede traffic. MAKE them speed up! if they can't cut the mustard, take their license! 'nuff said

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home