Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Art/"Art."

Article here.

"This is a new take on pro-life. Pro-lifers normally promote bloody images of abortion. This is the image of birth," Daniel Edwards, the artist, says.

If this is supposed to glorify birth, then why not depict the position a woman actually assumes when she’s giving birth? This looks like Britney is about to get a piece of Kevin Federline’s hot sausage. Am I the only one that sees this?! She’s clenching a bear rug, for God’s sake!!!

It’s times like this when I question the meaning of the word “art.” On one hand, the piece is obviously art in the strictest interpretation of the word, because the artist created something to make a statement. In this case, I think the piece was skillfully done as well.

However, when interpretations start getting overblown, I start getting disgruntled.

Everyone has seen the piece of “art” that is essentially a toilet. Just…a toilet. And that’s supposed to represent what – the oppression of defecation?

“I was inspired one night while taking a dump. As I watched my fat turds drop into the bowl, one by one, I felt them say, ‘I can’t believe he just drops me in that cold, white prison, and flushes me away like I’m nothing!’ This toilet is an expression of my love for my huge dumps. I flush you away, but it’s only because I care.”

So, "Monument to Pro-Life: The Birth of Sean Preston": pro-life? Not so much. I think Edwards just wanted to start some shit. And speaking of which, I think it’s time to incarcerate a few big ones...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home